For $6.99 I can buy my favorite vanilla almond milk by the folks over at MALK– it is delicious and super clean with only 5 ingredients. A few months ago I was urged by a friend to just make my own because it’s so easy. I decided to give it a try yesterday and was NOT disappointed by the final products (almond milk and almond meal!). However, I did make a big mess in the kitchen in the process. That’s all part of the creative process, right?!
- 1 cups raw almonds
- 8 cups of filtered water (4 cups for the night before and 4 cups for the day after)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 TBS pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- High powered blender (I’m a fan of the Ninja series)
- Cheese cloth or nut milk bag
- Glass jars for finished product
- Plastic bag or other container for almond meal
- The night before: put 2 cups of raw almonds in a large container, pour 8 cups of filtered water on top, and add 1/2 unrefined sea salt.
- At least 10-12 hours later rinse almonds
- Blend almonds in a Ninja or other high powered blender or food processor with 8 cups of filtered water on high for several minutes until you get a nice smooth consistency
- Place a large bowl on the counter and pour mixture through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag into the bowl. Squeeze as you go and don’t overfill the cloth/bag or you will lose some goodness.
- Once the whole blender has been emptied add the liquid back into the blender along with the maple syrup, vanilla, and any other flavor enhancers you’d like. Blend together.
- Pour delicious almond milk into your class containers and use the leftover almond meal for another recipe– like baked chicken tenders!
Head over to Thrive Market to get fantastic deals on healthy ingredients (25-50% off retail price!!!).
Confession, I originally doubled this recipe, but it went everywhere when I started blending it, so I recommend sticking with the recommended amounts above 🙂 I’ll also be getting a nut bag because it seems a lot easier than using a cheese cloth…notes for the future.
Here’s to creating Unstressed Wellness together!